Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lindsay's Review: Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles #4) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Series: Caster Chronicles #4
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Rating: ♚♚♚
Pages: 456
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers on October 23rd, 2012
Amazon | B&N
Is death the end . . . or only the beginning?

Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves.

Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan's return, vowing to do whatever it takes -- even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.

Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series.
When I first picked up the first book in the series from the library, I absolutely loved it. So much so that I ended up buying the book and continuing reading the series over the last few years. Before I get into it, I just want to let you guys know that there are major plot spoilers ahead.

The Plot: After jumping off the water tower to save all the people he loves, Ethan Wate is stuck on the other side, unable to return back to Lena and his remaining family unless he erases his page in The Caster Chronicles. He must complete the tasks at hand to get to the book and back in Gatlin, Lena must help him the best she can.

Honestly, it took me a while to get around to this book. First was because it was hardcover and I was not paying a hardcover price. But eventually I saw it soft cover and on a book buying spree, decided to complete the series on my bookshelf and finally read it.

I didn't reread the series before getting to Beautiful Redemption, and as much as I hate to say it, I didn't remember much of what had happened except for some key parts in the first book. And though it was a good read and a good end to the series, I just wasn't feeling the book. I've tried all day to think of reasons why but all I can come up with was that it didn't really end with a bang. A lot of the things that happened seemed un-character-like, and on top of that there was Lena's perspective for a third of the book and it was more interesting then the entire Ethan parts.

I just felt kind of
throughout the book.

And on top of that, the main bad guy, Abraham, dies. After all the crap he caused for them and how powerful apparently he is, you would think there would be some big fight with hardships and loss and all that. But no. Link kills him with garden sheers. Link. With gardening equipment. Are you serious? For such an antagonist and all the big fights with him throughout the series, he just dies the stupidest of deaths. I was actually yelling at my book. It feels like the authors just didn't want to deal with him anymore and killed him off in the easiest way possible.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly love it. It was a thorough ending to a good series, and I'm glad I finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: