Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tori's Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Losing It by Cora Carmack
Series: Losing It #1
Rating: ½
Pages: 204
Published by William Morrow Paperbacks on February 26, 2013
Date Finished: August 1, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Virginity.
Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.

This was my first new adult novel, and I'm now sure how I feel about it. I can't give it any more than 2.5 stars because I can't really decide whether I hated it or loved it.

First let me say something about this "new adult" genre. It's basically young adult...but without glossing over the sexual content. I'm just saying. Okay, on with the review.

There were cute moments, I have to admit, that made me gush, but everything was just so predictable--the plot, the characters, the dialogue, everything. Even the ending. But even though I like to be surprised on endings and this ending was anything but shocking, I still found myself grinning at the last sentence. I mean it was incredibly cliche, but it was so CUTE.

And I love the name Bliss. It's unique, but it's not trying to be too unique. I like it. Still yet, Bliss was a very Mary Sue type of character and Garrick wasn't much better. Oh and don't forget the best friend that fell in love with Bliss (Cade. The second book in the series is about Cade. I think I'm going to read it sometime soon. Cade was an okay character). The only reason I'm adding this is because I don't feel like its a spoiler because it was so predictable. Just this entire plot was predictable. 

1. Meet the guy
2. Conflict of interest (best friend loves protagonist) 
3. Fight
4. Happy ending

That's the generic plot to nearly every YA romance novel these days. It's extremely overused. And yet I still pick up a romance novel at least three times a month (wah, wah). To be honest though the only reason I picked up this novel was because a BookTuber that I'm subscribed to said that she read this book and thought that it was cute. 

Yes, I'm a sucker for cute romances, but this one was just...too cute. Here are some quotes from the book that I just have to share with you. 

His first words are, "On a scale of one to bitchy--how hung-over are you?"
Oh, Cade. Even though you're the best friend in the novel that I love to hate, that's one of the best lines in this entire book. 

"Garrick, this is crazy."
"I like crazy." 
Cue Hunter Hayes song. 

“I do. I love you. It’s just… honestly? I’m relieved.”
“You’re relieved that I’m a virgin? What, did you think I was a hoe-bag?”
Hoe-bag. Hahaha. How could I not love these lines? 

But anyway, this book is really short (about 200 pages) but I'm glad that it wasn't longer. It would've been dragging on that way, and it would've been even worse. In all, I didn't hate this book or love it either. If you're looking for a quick (well quick for me. I read about 100 pages an hour, so this only took me around 2-2.5 hours to finish), cute-ish read, Losing It is for you. 

But if you're looking for a serious read, don't read this. The author even had the decency to add FML to her writing. And it wasn't even in the dialogue. 

Gag me. 

If any of you have read this book, what did you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts. (: 

Note: this book contains sexual content that may be unsuitable for some people. Just a warning if you're planning on reading this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: