Saturday, August 3, 2013

Lindsay's Review: Born At Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls #1
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Vampires, Werewolves
Rating: 
Pages: 398
Published by St. Martin's Griffin on March 29th, 2011
Date Finished: August 3, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.
Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…



I loved this book.

Now, I've always been  a sucker for humorous paranormal teen books that tend to my lighthearted needs. So maybe I'm being biased, but honestly, I can already say I'm excited to be continuing on with the serious. Let's start with what I liked.

Lucas. Oh my God, Lucas is just...wow. At first, I hated him for reasons I shall not explain to keep you from spoilers. Let's just say I'm an animal lover and there was an issue there. But then it happened - I realized that Lucas was amazingly hot, with or without my issue with him. And I had a need - for the main character Kylie to KISS HIM A MILLION TIMES.

Hey, C.C. Hunter. You don't know me. I don't know you. But seriously - a book where it's all about Lucas and Kylie kissing is a bestseller. Even if I have to buy all the copies. Get on that.

Another thing that was amazing - the cliff hangers. I wanted to read to the end of the chapter, mark my spot and continue on with my life, whether that be eating, sleeping or even going to the bathroom. But no. The cliff hangers were just so shocking, juicy or oh my God worthy that I had to know what happened, and then there I go, reading through until the next chapter ends. But it doesn't, because I have to read on.

Kylie, the main character is an amazing character. I really felt what she was going through and felt compassion and empathy for her. She dealt with things I would see myself dealing with the same, and her personality was not only hilarious, but easily relatable. The only thing I didn't match with was her ability to be so closed-mouthed. Her parents are divorcing, she finds her dad around town with his assistant, kissing and doing some let's-not-mention things, but does she let them see her? No. I would have loved for her to just pop out, not even to say anything, but just shock her dad like that. He deserved it, seeing as he hadn't mentioned the affair/girlfriend to her.

The only I issue I had with the book? Breasts.

Yes, you read that right. I'm not making a joke or even saying that this book is erotic, but oh man, the amount of time Kylie thinks about her breasts touching something or vice versa is enough to make my eyes roll and even scream at the page. Whether it be her boobs touching a chest, a back, or anything, really, she thought about it. I'm a girl and I don't even think about things like that much, or even at all, for that matter. What else bugged me was she never said boobs. It was always breasts. You are not fifty years old. Why must you think like it?

I think I've honestly lost all my composure when reviewing this book. It must have made my teen hormones go completely out of whack to the point I want my review to read only LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS.

I think I have a problem.

That being said, if you're looking for a simple, really fun and easy read, please pick up this book. Then thank me for making your life a little better. And after that, let's have a Lucas slumber party. I'll bring the stuffed wolves.

Let's end this with my favorite quote from the book.

"Kylie had visions in her mind of two wolves playing leap frog, but not quite leaping..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: