Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tori's Review: Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer
Series: Nightshade #2
Rating:
Pages: 390
Published by Philomel on July 26, 2011
Date Finished: August 8, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer–one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack–and the man–she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.
(I apologize for any typos. I wrote this on my phone immediately after I put the book down. In other words, I wrote this review when the wounds were still fresh. I'm too lazy to do a read through and correct the mistakes if there are any. I'm tired.)

I'd be dying if the third book Bloodrose wasn't sitting on my bookshelf already. Like seriously. Ren, what are you doing to me? Anyway, this review will have spoilers for the first book, so if you haven't read Nightshade then I suggest reading that because it's amazing as well. 

Okay first off: the ending. Oh my god. Andrea Cremer has this thing were she loves to leave us readers at a cliffhanger on the last page. In Nightshade, Calla had gotten kidnapped and then her last thoughts were about Shay. I was literally freaking out, and if you've read my Nightshade review, then you would know. And then this book. The ending. Oh my god. Just it's too much for me to handle. 

I'm in love with Ren, and this book did not help. If you've read this book and you love Ren then you know my pain. 

Anyway this book serves as the perfect bridge between book one and two. I don't really know how to explain it except it basically serves as a really good filler with an exceptional plot of its own. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book. Although if I didn't already have book three I'd probably take half a star off like I did for book one. But anyway, this was the perfect book two. 

At first I wasn't too fond of Shay. I mean, Calla is destined to be with Ren. How can anything trump destiny? True love can, apparently. But that's the thing. I don't think Calla and Shay are experiencing true love. It seems more like Calla was just stressed and Shay was there for her. Okay Team Shay, you can shoot me and all that, but that's what I think. Ren and Calla just have a connection. (Although I may be biased because Ren is a sexy beast, just saying.) But I have to admit that toward the end Shay did grow on me. He's a kickass Scion, that's for sure. 

I didn't really like Adne at first either but as the story progressed I started to like her more. She was just always hitting on Shay and that pissed me off, but then she became more of a fleshed out, real characters and I liked her way more. Speaking of Adne, Connor. Oh god. I loved Connor so much. He did appear to be sort of mood-swingish but when your life is in danger at every minute of every day I think you're allowed to have mood swings. 

I also loved Ethan. Was it wrong of me to want Calla and Ethan to get together at some parts of the book? It would've created the perfect "forbidden" love type thing. You know, Guardian and Searcher. I have such a bad boy, romance-oriented brain, I know.  

In all I loved this book and the information that was revealed was just simply shocking. This book surprised me nearly every step of the way and made me squeal with delight as well as want to shove my fist of some of the characters' asses. This was definitely worthy entire day, and I can't wait to read the third book to finish up the trilogy. 
No, but seriously. Spoiler alert.

Okay now I'm going to rant about all the spoilers in this book. So if you decided to ignore my spoiler alert and keep reading, be prepared for this entire book to be spoiled for you. Unless you've read it then you can just read this and feel my pain with me all over again. 

First order of business: the ending. Oh my god. How can she just leave it at the part where she's about to talk to Ren? HOW CAN SHE DO THAT? It's the moment of truth and it's the part where us, the readers, find out where Ren's real loyalties lie! And speaking of Ren, let's talk about Monroe. 
So he's Ren's dad. And Adne is Ren's step-sister. It's too much to take in. TOO MUCH. I never would have guessed that Monroe  was Ren's dad. Like oh my god this book was the opposite of predictable. I hope Ren didn't actually kill Monroe. That would be so cruel of Emilie (however you spell the asshole's names) to make Ren kill his own dad. Talk about a dick move. 

Other than that, let's also talk about Ansel. HOW COULD HE DO THAT TO CALLA. Like yeah he didn't know that Calla was teamed up with the Searchers at the time but how could he choose the Keepers over Calla, his pack, and last but not least Bryn?! I thought he loved her! How could he choose the lying assholes over his FAMILY? 

There is just so much in this book, and it's so hard to not explode because all of the information that I learned. I just hope Ren decides to make the right decision and go with Calla to Italy (?!?!) and to his pack and everybody. 

Oh and I hope Calla can get Cosette, Dax, and Fey back on her side as well! I can't believe her own pack betrayed her. Like come on people know where your loyalties lie.

Oh yeah and I also heard that Bloodrose sucked and has a terrible ending. Great. I'm afraid to read it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: