Friday, August 9, 2013

Lindsay's Review: Just One Wish by Janette Rallison

Just One Wish by Janette Rallison
Series: None
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Chick Lit
Rating:
Pages: 272
Published by Putnam Juvenile on March 5th, 2009
Date Finished: August 9, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Seventeen-year-old Annika Truman knows about the power of positive thinking. With a little brother who has cancer, it's all she ever hears about. And in order to help Jeremy, she will go to the ends of the earth (or at least as far as Hollywood) to help him believe he can survive his upcoming surgery.
But Annika's plan to convince Jeremy that a magic genie will grant him any wish throws her a curveball when he unexpectedly wishes that his television idol would visit him. Annika suddenly finds herself in the desperate predicament of getting access to a hunky star actor and convincing him to come home with her. Piece of cake, right?
Janette Rallison's proven talent for laugh-out-loud humor, teen romance, and deep-hearted storytelling shines in a novel that will have readers laughing and crying at the same time.

I just finished this book less than a minute ago and I think I'm already having withdrawals.

It took me a bit to get into this book. Though the start was interesting, I felt as if I was forcing myself to continue - and boy am I glad I did. Originally, as I was reading I thought this was a one-time-read type of book and one with the everything would be okay ending like all cute books like this do. However, I was wrong.

I couldn't stop reading this book. As soon as I got into it, I literally had to keep going. The cliff-hangers prolonged sleep,  the ending caused me to skip breakfast and possibly lunch and it was just overall one of those books that you really see yourself in. You're no longer reading, but living a real movie.

Annika, the main character, was great. Not only was she hilarious at times and so quirky that I wish she was my best friend, but she was also so strong in caring that I really found myself sympathizing for her. She did things like steal a toy for her sick brother from an evil guy who already had twenty to jumping across trailers to avoid being caught by a hot guy. I actually found myself rooting for her to do crazy things - some things which I could see myself doing, but  a lot, I could not. Let's just say that a very sick little brother is great motivation for her.

And then there's Steve. STEVE STEVE STEVE STEVE. At first, I didn't like him. (or his name. Who wants a Steve?) But I blame that on the not really knowing him part. All he is at first is a TV character who you know as Robin Hood and not his own person. But then he becomes amazing. So amazing, that at times I was yelling at Annika to get out of his passenger seat and let me get in there. Oh, how at times I wanted to be her.

I found no problems or things I disliked while reading. The book turned out to be so much amazingly more than I thought. Even as I look back, trying to find at least one thing I didn't like, I can't find one. It's such a feel good read even though parts are sad and very real in people's lives, I still find myself smiling through the ending, which I shall not spoil for you.

Now back to Steve. Oh my goodness, I can't get this boy out of my head! He did things I did not expect him to do and show up to be a good guy when I thought he would bail. He's so amazing. Amazing amazing amazing. Steve. Oh, Steve.

I think I'm turning into a fan girl.

I feel like I'm cheating on my boyfriend with Steve.

But Steve is just....oh, Steve.

I think I have a problem and should go put an ice pack on my head because clearly I must have a fever. (hot for Steve, perhaps?) So I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes an easy, feel good, fun read. You won't regret it! (And if you do, I'm coming for you, and so is Steve.)

"I can't believe you just did that! Are you crazy?"
I gripped the steering wheel tighter. "Why do people keep asking me that?"
He turned to stare at me, his eyes worried. "Who else keeps asking you that? Are any of them doctors?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: