Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lindsay's Review: Tiger's Voyage

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck
Series: The Tiger Saga (#3)
Rating: 
Pages: 560
Published by Hodder & Stoughton on November 1st, 2011
Date Finished: July 20, 2013
With the head-to-head battle against the villainous Lokesh behind her, Kelsey confronts a new heartbreak: in the wake of his traumatic experience, her beloved Ren no longer remembers who she is. As the trio continues their quest by challenging five cunning and duplicitous dragons, Ren and Kishan once more vie for her affections--leaving Kelsey more confused than ever.
Warning: Contains spoilers for this book and the previous two in the series. If you have not read them yet I will try to keep things as basic as possible when giving my review.
Honestly, the Tiger Saga is one of my favorite series, and I don't throw that term around lightly. Even though I just finished book three, I can easily say that this series is a must read and tends to the inner giddy girl living inside of us, the little adventurer waiting to go out on a quest and also those who love when a book that can really make them think about what's happening, even long after they put it down.
Each time I picked up this book, I felt as if I was disconnected from my own world and put into the main character's, Kelsey's. As I read, I was honestly watching a picture perfect movie in my mind. The description, the dialogue and the characters made me feel anxious, excited, terrified and even as if I was in love.
Though the story is based around adventure in finding the five dragons that lead the two princes, Ren and Kishan along with Kelsey a little closer to breaking the tiger curse, it isn't so action packed that you're lusting for substance. Normally, a love triangle would throw me off - and I'm sure a lot of others. However, this is like no love triangle I've ever felt before. I honestly could be cheering for one brother one moment (team Ren!) and the next feeling hopelessly bad for Kishan, wondering if maybe I might be switching teams. Their triangle is so much more complicated than any other I've ever heard of, and honestly, I absolutely love it.
Ren is my dream character. I wish I could create such a complex person with so much detailing as Houck does with him. Not only is he hopelessly romantic and whispering pretty Indian words into Kelsey's ear, but he's also one to give everything up to keep her safe - even if that means separating himself from her. He's also one to get quite jealous, and honestly one of my favorite parts in this book was when he freaked when seeing Kelsey with Kishan - and oh boy, did he ever.

Kishan, on the other hand, was someone that I had to grow to love. At first I was interested in him and enjoyed having him come into scenes, but never rooted for him being Kelsey's love interest. Through the second book and majorly in this book I grew to really love Kishan and ended up rooting for him at times. Even though I'm still team Ren, and probably always will be, Kishan is a very close second, and though this novel I really sympathized with him and as much as I want Ren, I wanted Kishan at times just because he was so loving and sad.

I can say that there is not one character I didn't enjoy reading about in this book. I even enjoyed reading about the bad guy because his character was so well thought out. Between scenes of action where I was biting my fingernails and intense romance problems when I was begging Ren to enter the scene (which one time, he did. Woo!) this book kept me entertained all the way through, and despite it taking me long to read it due to being busy, I could easily come back to this book knowing exactly what just happened and being put in this magical world all over again as if I never left.

I only found two things that bugged me with this book. One of them was the way Houck had written dialogue in areas. Sometimes there would be two or even three characters talking in a scene and there would be no indication of who was speaking through ten and more lines. I would have to reread parts because who I had thought was speaking was actually not, and I had gotten confused. The other thing that I found strange is that the main character, Kelsey, felt no remorse or hesitation when killing people. When the enemy attacked mammals in the novel, she would cry out and be so upset, but when she would kill people (even though it was saving her family) she didn't feel bad about it at all. If was killing people to save the ones I loved, I would be upset that I had to do that in order to keep them safe. They have families, lives, everything, and I was shocked that Kelsey didn't really care.

If you haven't read the series, I really recommend you to pick up the first book at your library or bookstore. It's one that I know I'll be rereading very soon and so original that nothing has ever come close to being similar to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: