Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tori's Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Series: None
Rating: 
Pages: 323
Published by Dutton Adult on April 14, 2011
Date Finished: July 29, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Beth and Jennifer know their company monitors their office e-mail. But the women still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers at the newspaper and baring their personal lives like an open book. Jennifer tells Beth everything she can't seem to tell her husband about her anxieties over starting a family. And Beth tells Jennifer everything, period.
When Lincoln applied to be an Internet security officer, he hardly imagined he'd be sifting through other people's inboxes like some sort of electronic Peeping Tom. Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't quite bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer. He can't help but be entertained-and captivated- by their stories.
But by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late for him to ever introduce himself. What would he say to her? "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you." After a series of close encounters and missed connections, Lincoln decides it's time to muster the courage to follow his heart . . . even if he can't see exactly where it's leading him.
Written with whip-smart precision and charm, Attachments is a strikingly clever and deeply romantic debut about falling in love with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Even if it's someone you've never met.
Is it safe to say that Rainbow Rowell is now one of my favorite authors? It's definitely safe to say that I will be reading her new and upcoming book Fangirl, that's for sure. Who doesn't like a good fangirl, says no one ever. (Just kidding. Kind of. No offense. I feel like this review might become sort of offensive to some people. Just grin and bear it, haha.)

Anyway this book was just so amazing that I don't think I can even put it into words--it being my feelings. At first I was unsure about this book. Halfway through I was contemplating putting it down and reading Wolfsbane or some other action packed book like that. But I was problem wrong and, damn, I'm so glad that I persevered and plowed my way through the rest of the book without giving up. 

You see, I'm not really one to enjoy a good contemporary novel. They're fairly hard for me to get into without a hot guy. And don't forget to mention the fact that these people are adults in their thirties. No offense, but I totally agree with John Green when he says that adults are boring. I just don't connect with them as much as I do with teenagers, and I feel that that's a reasonable explanation. But as I was saying, it's difficult for me to really get into a good contemporary novel, but Attachments just hit the spot for me. 

I don't feel overly excited about this book like I did with Eleanor & Park. I don't know. For this book, I just feel satisfied. You know? Like I just feel like this book was satisfying. It filled my romance-y needs. Although I did find the aspect of the novel kind of creepy. I mean, Lincoln reads her emails for god sakes. That's creepy. But everything works itself out in the end, so I'm actually alright with this book's level of creepiness. 

I don't know what to think about Lincoln. Like, I like him, but at the same time I don't. He's a creep, for one. But he's a sweet creep. Two, he lives with his mom. No offense to people who are 29 and live with their mom, but come on. You're 29. You have a good paycheck. Please get your own apartment. I feel bad about saying this, but maybe that's just because I'm a go-getter, and I already have my life semi-planned out from the minute I get my college degree.

Now let's talk about someone whom I love. Beth. I loved her voice so much. She was just such a fun character, and she was amazing, and I just...she was amazing. She was sarcastic and funny and pretty and insecure and I loved her so much. She wasn't a typical insecure female character though so I didn't find her extremely annoying. I loved everything about her. I think I loved Jennifer just as much as well. Lovely women, I say.

The other thing I absolutely loved about this book was the way that it was written. The way that there were the emails that Lincoln read and then Lincoln's point of view. That was unique, and I loved it. At first I thought that it was going to be hard to keep up with who was emailing who, but I picked up on it quickly and it turned out to be just like a regular conversation in a book minus the actions that the people were doing, if that makes any sense.

In all, I gave this book five stars because I absolutely fell in love with it. Although it took a while to finish, I'm glad that I did, and I might be reading this book again before the year is over.

Oh and the ending was just perfect. At least I think so. I love endings. More than beginnings, actually.

(I feel like I'm going soft. I'm giving all these books five stars. Am I really going soft?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: