Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tori's Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Series: none 
Rating: 
Pages: 328
Published by St. Martin's Press on February 26, 2013
Date Finished: July 20, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

If I could sum up Eleanor & Park in two words, those two words would be read it. Actually, I would sum it up in three words: read it now. 
This book left me with too many feelings. I just...it was so amazing, and surprising it left me satisfied. Usually when I finish books early in the morning that I find amazing, I always want more. But I feel like this book just hit the spot and claimed its spot as my favorite summer read. It was just so cute--Eleanor and Park's relationships, that is--and I couldn't get enough. 
But I do have to admit one thing: Park's parents were one of my favorite aspects of this book. Their relationship was just hilariously adorable, and I always laughed whenever Park's mom was in a scene. You could definitely tell that Park's mom wore the pants in the relationship, and whenever Park's dad said something that she didn't like, she'd crack her whip Indiana Jones style and just be like "oh snap you did not just do that".  
Anyway, onto our two protagonists. Eleanor. Her life is such a mess. Bad thing after bad thing happens to her. I never would've expected the ending, and it just hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was like, "Whoa. What just happened. Whoa. No way. Whoa." So yeah. I mean...gosh, I don't want to spoil anything in this review, but GOSHDARNNIT. THAT ENDING. As you can see, it's hard for me to put Eleanor's situation into words. 
Onto Park. Oh Park, how I love thee. I loved how even in the midst of horrible an shocking events, Park's father ultimately got his son to drive a stick shift. Go Park's dad! And I love how Park was just a raw character. He was just...awesome. And I mean, when he talked about his insecurities about being Asian...I was just like, "Yeah, man, I feel you. I feel you, bro." And then he had to go on and say that Asian women were exotic. Yeah way to get me to join in on your pity parade. Just kidding. Anyway. 

Don't get me started on the ending. I love books that have profound endings that mean something and stir emotion in a person, and I'm proud to say that this book had one of those endings. It was just so perfect, and there's nothing that I would change about it. Perfect.
The writing in this book flowed really well, and Eleanor & Park ended up being just a real easy read, and that's why I gave it five stars. Actually, I'm pretty sure I gave it five stars because of the ending. Read it and see what I'm talking about. You'll understand. Oh yes and I recommend this book to anybody who's a sucker for cute moments and gushes over them very much like myself. 
(Park's seemingly roundhouse kick moment made me love him even more. Just thought I should add that in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: