Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 End of the Year Book Survey!


The End of the Year Book Survey was created by Jamie over at Perpetual Page Turner!

I really hate making lists of favorites. Don't hold me to these books. It's one in the morning, thank you very much <3 
Links go to my reviews. If a book isn't linked, I didn't review it. 



1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Contemporary: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic: Angelfall by Susan Ee (linked to Lindsay's review! Check it out!)

Paranormal: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Fantasy: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (no review for this book, but I have a review for it's sequel Siege and Storm!)

2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love but didn’t?

The Diviners by Libba Bray! (No review to link to because it's going to be uploaded here on January 4th.) Everyone talked about this book, and they all loved it, but it just sort of fell short for me :(

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park. I'm not going to lie. I thought this was gonna be absolute fluff, and I read it for shits and giggles because I got as a Kindle Daily Deal. But holy crap, it was so much more than fluff! 

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Definitely The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I loved it so much, and I told pretty much everyone I know to read it...and now they have.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Shit, there are so many, but Angelfall was just amazing. So good. I hate being repetitive, but this was just such a good book, not gonna lie. (Again, linking you to Lindsay's review of Angelfall.)

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Even though this is the first time I've seen your blog, Jamie, (and I love it! Gorgeous graphics), I think you're trying to kill me with this question. I discovered so many authors this year, but I'd have to say that John Green was my favorite. I can't believe it took me so long to read his books. Or Rainbow Rowell. Oh, god. I don't know. Both?

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. I don't read much adult, but this book was amazing. I read it in a day, I believe.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Uh, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout. That book was like crack.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Probably The Fault in Our Stars. Also Dash & Lily's Book of Dares next Christmas! 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Either: 
Or: 
Or: 

11. Most memorable character in 2013?

I'm going to try and start picking books I haven't already chosen. Uuuuuhm, either Penryn of Angelfall (oops) or Warner from Destroy Me by Tahereh (yes, I'm picking from a novella). 


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. That woman has got a way with words, I'm telling you. OROROROR Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Wow.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

This is probably unexpected, but Allegiant by Veronica Roth. That book--the entire series, really--just made me look at my life in a new light. I guess I can sort of quote Four here: I want to be smart, brave, selfless, peaceful, and honest. I don't just want to be one thing. I think Allegiant has taught me that I can be all five of those traits. 

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

I won't way Angelfall. I won't. (Oops, I already did.) Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, to be honest. I read the first three books in the Mortal Instruments series, so the sensible thing to do is carry onto the next companion series, right? (This was when The Mortal Instruments was a trilogy and not a series.) Well, I didn't. And now I have. And it was amazing.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

Yeaaaaaah. The Fault in Our Stars. John Green, people. 

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Ooookay.
Shortest: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (school book, aha.) 182 pages
Longest: The Diviners by Libba Bray. 578 pages

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Allegaint. 'Nuff said. 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Romantic: Juliette and Warner from Unravel Me. I just...can't. Or Tessa and Will...and Jem...holy shit. 
Friendship: Allison and Jakal from The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa! I don't know if they would consider themselves friends, but...I do xD

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

You kill me. I hate being repetitive but Unravel Me. I wasn't a big reader before this year. I only read Shatter Me because I always saw it at Barnes & Noble and some lady who worked there recommended it to me since I liked The Hunger Games, and yeah. Don't ask. 

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Angelfall. Thanks, Lindsay. 

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Either YA dystopian or YA fantasy. 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

...Warner from Unravel Me. Or Raffe from Angelfall. (There is an unmentionable because he dies, and that would be a spoiler if I mention a name, so, uuuugh.)

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT BOOKS ARE DEBUTS AND WHAT AREN'T?!?!?!?! I NEED TO GOODREADS LIST THIS SHIT. AND MAYBE MAKE A SHELF FOR NEXT YEAR. 


24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?


25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell or How My Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski (great summer read, guys!).

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

One thing you guys need to know about me: I don't cry for books or movies. I just don't. Buuuuut, there were a few books that made me almost cry! Like my eyes burned, and I got sad. The only time I cry for books is when I read at 3 in the morning...but I'll cry if they start kissing too so I don't count that as crying. 

I think Flat-Out Love came the close to making me cry. Very, very close. 

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Is it sad that I didn't read too many 'unknown' books this year...? I'm a beginner at this stuff! Okay, probably The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston. 


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

Rise by Anna Carey. I need to finish that series off. 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. Aaron fucking Warner. All is said. 

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings. It sounds sooooooo good. I think I'm going to order it online in hardcover. That's how confident I am that I'll like it. 

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

IGNITE ME BY TAHEREH MAFI OKAY.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

Blogging: Get more involved with the other bloggers on the blogosphere! This blog isn't really that known (like, at all...) and I'd love to make some blog friends. So I guess I can achieve this by being more involved altogether. I mostly come on here to write posts, edit the blog graphics, and I usually end up watching TV. I want to comment on blog posts more often. Real comments, not OMG I LOVED THAT BOOK EUHRAOIAKJEFHASF. <--- what do you wanna bet that my comments will end up like that? 
I just mean that I put so many hours into this blog, and I don't want it all to be more nothing. I want to be INVOLVED WOO. 

Reading: Read more. Seriously. Read more. 90+ books in one year is good, but I didn't start seriously reading until July. 


Thanks for reading all of this if you did! That's amazing of you <3 If you have your own survey, leave the link in the comments, and I'll probably check it out (and comments, because I mean number 5 up there at the end, right? *nudge nudge*). I hope you guys have an amazing New Years' Eve! I'll be reading, aha. 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: