Thursday, November 21, 2013

World After by Susan Ee

Pages: 314
Release Date: November 19th, 2013
Publisher: Skyscrape
Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

 
I only waited a few months for this book but for me a few months was too long. Angelfall is now one of my favorite books and I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it since I read it. Now, having gotten my hands on World After I feel like this series is weaving it's way into a place in my heart.

We left off in Angelfall with Raffie, the sexy, arrogant and addicting fallen angel carries Penryn, who he believes is dead to her family despite the countless human soldiers with their guns pointed at him. However, Penryn wasn't actually dead, just paralyzed, and has to continue her life with Raffie long gone, thinking she's dead.

To save you from any spoilers of this book, I'll continue with my feelings during the read. The only, single, problem I had with this book - I need more Raffie. I'm possibly addicted to him just as much as Penryn was and could read about him brushing his teeth and enjoy it. Seriously, he wasn't in this book much until near the end and even though some cute moments made up for it, I missed the connection and reading about him as much as I did in Angelfall.

I think the two main reasons that this book and the series as a whole is fantastic, amazing and honestly truly great, are the plot and the characters.

The plot is truly unique with twists and turns you don't expect to happen. Raffie's sword bonding with Penryn and training her to what happens at the very end - and I guess everything- with her sister Paige. You just don't see it coming, and when it happens, it's something amazing to read about, even if it's negative.

The characters have to be my favorite part. None of them are forgettable. Penryn and her wit, her mother and the cow prod, Raffie and his demon wings and Paige with her stitches. Each character is unique with their appearance, personality and has their own story throughout Penryn's. Unlike other stories, they aren't on Penryn's journey, every person has their own and they intertwine, which makes it amazing. It's realistic even in a post-apocalyptic world.

This book had me cheering for Paige, for Penryn, for her mom - for everyone, up until the very end. I felt like I was in a movie the entire time and I know I'll be reading this again very soon.

Great job, Susan Ee! Thank you for this wonderful series. :3

For the first book review on Angelfall, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: