Saturday, April 19, 2014

Why We Don't Use Star Ratings Anymore

Topic: Star Ratings

I've actually noticed that a lot of book bloggers don't use star ratings any longer on their blog. This post is weighing the pros and cons of star ratings, and then I'll explain to you why Lindsay and I decided to not use them any longer. 

  • Pros
    • Feelings on a book at first glance
    • Set-in-stone method of reviewing
  • Cons
    • Doesn't take into account emotions toward a book
    • One's opinion may change on a book later on
    • Rating scale is tedious
    • Sometimes a reader won't read a review if there's a star rating
    • Doesn't allow review to really explain what they thought of the book

The list of cons basically says why we won't be using star ratings any longer. I used to freak out over what to rate a book, but now I don't have to. Star ratings will still be on my Goodreads, but I won't post them here. I've thought about this for a while, and it seems to be that not having star ratings will make my reviews more about what I thought rather than supporting a series of stars that say whether a book is good or bad. 

I just want to be able to state what I think about a book without a scale limiting me to what I should put in my review. 

Do you use star ratings? What do you think of the new change? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: